19/08/2012

It's not a novel, it's a TV series

Just in case: no, it's still meant to be a novel. Unless something really big changes, or someone convinces me my format works better as something else, this is still a novel.

I'm starting to get into the rhythm of writing. The first few days I barely pulled off a couple hundred words and kept getting drawn somewhere else. My brain is a mess - I can't keep my mind on a task for a couple of minutes. But no! I must do it! And I'm starting to get into it, I think. It will probably go downhill from there.

So I noticed something while writing today. During the self-editing, I went back to about the place I finished yesterday and just dropped in there a view-point break (ya know, the fancy asterisks in the middle of the page). Nothing special about those, but I went back to look at the previous ones and noticed really where I drop them. The one I'm talking about? Imagine there's a character getting right into the heat of the action. He avoids certain doom with an inhumanly powerful leap and lands in the midst of the enemies. BAM. ASTERISKS.

That wasn't a view-point break. If anything, that was some kind of sub-chapter. That was, for the lack of a better word, a commercial break. In a novel. That probably tells you much about me, and if it doesn't, I will. See, I grew up on TV. I'm from the generation which definitely watched more TV than read books, and it shows in the way I write. If I know anything about my style, it ends up looking very cinematic. Frequent cuts right into the middle of the scene, the "commercial breaks", dialogues sometimes dominating whole pages. That's a movie written down as a novel. Scratch movie - a TV series.

I have an extensive plan of what is meant to be written in this novel. As I look at it again from this perspective, it's essentially a plan of a TV series, but a written one. No, it's not a screenplay, it's a novel. Except episodic, and cinematic in style. I do hope to be a TV writer one day, but right now, this just shows my background.

Is that bad? Is that good? Is that the main reason of why this book is estimated to have such monstrous word count (which BTW, dropped to about 140,000 since the last post)? If anyone stumbles upon this post, let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment